HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (May 6, 2018) – Deemer Class scored six goals, including three from beyond the two-point arc, to lift the Atlanta Blaze to a 16-14 win over the New York Lizards on Sunday.
Class finished the game with nine points, his most in a single game in his career.
The Lizards outscored Atlanta 6-0 in the second quarter and went into the half with an 8-3 advantage. The Blaze scored the first two goals of the third quarter and Class hit his second two-pointer of the game at 9:40 in the third to tie the score at 10-10.
Former Lizards player Matt Gibson gave the Blaze a 15-12 lead at 7:30 in the fourth, but goals from Will Manny and Kyle Hartzell cut the deficit to one again.
Gibson scored the final goal of the game with eight seconds remaining in regulation to seal the win.
PLAYERS OF NOTE
- Deemer Class was named the Coca-Cola MVP with nine points (6 goals, 3 2-point goals). He matched the league record for two-point goals in a game and became the first player to score three two-pointers since Chesapeake’s Kyle Dixon on 4/27/13.
- Matt Mackrides had a season-high six points (2 goals, 4 assists).
- In his first game against his former team, Matt Gibson had four goals.
- Rob Pannell had four goals and four assists for the Lizards.
- Paul Rabil had a season-high four points (2 goals, 2 assists).