5/9/14 11:30 PM
The Rochester Rattlers (2-1) and the New York Lizards (1-2) met again tonight in a rematch of Week 1. The Rattlers were able to solidify a 15-9 win over the Lizards taking their second game of 2014.
Dave Lawson led Rochester to the win with three goals and one assist earning Coca-Cola Player of the Game, while Lizards midfielder Ned Crotty earned his first hat-trick of the season against his former team. Despite the loss, New York’s Greg Gurenlian won the battle at the X taking 15 of 27 draws faced against John Ortolani.
New York tried to set the tone of the game early on, taking a 4-1 lead in the first quarter, thanks to tallies by Matt Striebel, Stephen Mock, Ned Crotty and Al Maione, Stephen Boyle with the lone goal for the home team.
Six different Rattlers scored in the second to give Rochester a 7-3 partial and a one point lead going into the half. Justin Turri, Boyle, Lawson, Mike Manley (2 pt.), Daniel Hardy, and Sam Bradman, all found a wa to beat New York goalie Drew Adams. The Team USA netminder would end the game with 13 saves on 27 shots faced.
Rochester continued to manage the advantage in the third quarter, finding the back of the net with Kevin Leveille, who recorded his 265th career goal, just five away from tying the MLL All-Time Goals record held by former Lizard Tim Goettelman. The Rattlers would find the back of the net four more times with Lawson, John Ranagan, Boyle and Turri but not before Crotty’s third on the night.
Up by five going into the final quarter the Rattlers let up on the pedal scoring just two more with Jordan MacIntosh, the 9th Rattler to find the net on the evening, and Lawson completing his stellar night. New York midfielder David Earl tallied the lone goal of the period for the visitors.
Next, New York hosts the Ohio Machine on Saturday, May 17 on ESPN3.Com at 8 p.m. while the Rattlers return to CBS Sports Network with a trip to the Denver Outlaws at 9 p.m. on the same night.
· Three players earned hat tricks tonight: Ned Crotty, of the New York Lizards, and Dave Lawson and Steven Boyle of the Rochester Rattlers.
· Rob Pannell was kept scoreless by Rochester’s defense, but had three assists for a total of three points, propelling him into first place in the league for points in advance of tomorrow’s games.
· Nine different Rattlers found the back of the net on the evening against six Lizards.
· Team USA and Rattlers attackman Kevin Leveille (265) recorded one goal and moved five closer to tying former Lizard Tim Goettelman’s All-Time goal scoring record (270)
· Both teams were unable to capitalize on their three respective man-advantage opportunities.