9/5/12 10:01 AM
Major League Lacrosse Announces Introduction of Limited Instant Replay for 2013 Season
BOSTON, Mass. (Wednesday, September 5, 2012)– Major League Lacrosse, the premier professional lacrosse league, announced today that the league will implement limited instant replay for the upcoming 2013 MLL season. Players expressed interest in creating an instant replay system and the idea was approved by the MLL Board of Managers this summer. The scope was finalized by the MLL Coaches and GM’s and the league is on course to start the 2013 season using limited instant replay. Below is an overview of the instant replay guidelines.
Scope of Replay
Instant replay will be limited in 2013 to scoring plays. Specifically, replay can be used to determine ONLY (1) whether the ball had completely crossed the plane of the goal; (2) whether a goal scored should be counted as a one- or two-point goal; or (3) whether the last player in possession of the ball prior to the shot on goal had stepped in the crease prior to the ball crossing the plane of the goal.
· Instant replay will be used via a challenge system by the teams
· Each team will be provided up to two challenges per game during regulation time
· If applicable, each team will be provided one challenge during an overtime scenario
· If a challenge is successful there is no timeout charged, if a challenge is unsuccessful the team is charged with a timeout
· If a team attempts a challenge without a timeout, they will be given a delay of game penalty and their challenge will not be reviewed
To see the full list of MLL Official Limited Instant Replay Rules Click Here
About Major League Lacrosse
Major League Lacrosse (MLL), the premier professional outdoor lacrosse league, was founded by Jake Steinfeld and is headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts. Major League Lacrosse commenced play in June of 2001 and will enter its 13th season in 2013. MLL has continued to lead the sport of lacrosse into the mainstream of competitive team sports. The league is made up of eight teams: The Boston Cannons, Charlotte Hounds, Chesapeake Bayhawks, Denver Outlaws, Hamilton Nationals, Long Island Lizards, Ohio Machine and Rochester Rattlers.
The 2013 MLL Collegiate Draft will take place on January 11, 2013 in Philadelphia, PA. The 2013 season will commence on April 27, 2013. More information about the league can be found at www.majorleaguelacrosse.com, Facebook or Twitter.