COLUMBUS, Ohio (April 29, 2018) – In their first game of the season, the defending champion Ohio Machine cruised to a 25-13 victory over the New York Lizards on Sunday afternoon at Fortress Obetz Field.
Marcus Holman broke the MLL record for goals in a single game with 11. The previous record of 10 goals was set by former Machine player John Grant, Jr. on Aug. 8, 2016.
The Lizards led 3-2 midway through the first quarter, but Ohio then scored six of the next seven goals and never trailed the rest of the way.
Jake Bernhardt, Ryan Ambler, Connor Cannizzaro, Kyle Harrison, Pat Harbeson and Pat Young all scored multiple goals for the Machine.
PLAYERS OF NOTE
- Marcus Holman was named the Coca-Cola MVP, finishing with 12 points (11 goals, 1 assist). He fell two points shy of John Grant, Jr. and Mark Millon for the MLL record for points in a single game (14).
- Tom Schreiber had six assists for Ohio.
- Ryan Ambler had a career-high four points (3 goals, assist) and matched his career high in goals.
- Will Manny scored four goals for the second straight game this season.
- Brian Carcaterra appeared at goalie for New York, his first MLL game since 2002.