The Florida Launch (4-2) had a huge 11-8 win over the New York Lizards (3-3) in a completely dominating performance on Saturday night. Rookie Kieran McArdle and veteran Casey Powell were big factors in the win over the Lizards, accumulating 9 points between them.
With both teams sitting at 3-2, this game would determine who would stand a chance at catching the Outlaws, and who would fall back to .500.
The game opened with Florida taking complete control. Powell and Jordan Hall, on a power play, scored to get things started for the Launch. Lizards’ veteran Matt Striebel was finally able to net one for the Lizards with about seven minutes left in the first, but the Launch quickly responded with goals by Kevin Cunningham and McArdle. The first quarter ended 4-1 with the Lizards being totally dominated by the up-tempo Florida offense.
The second quarter continued in the same way the first ended. New York was plagued by turnovers and an inability to score. The Launch’s Garrett Thul scored the first goal of the quarter with ten minutes to play in half. Shortly thereafter, JoJo Marasco gave New York their second goal of the game. Only two more goals were scored in the low-scoring second quarter, another by Powell for the Launch, and Kyle Hartzell for New York. The first half finished with the Launch up 6-3.
After halftime, and down by three, the Lizards needed to come out on fire if they harbored any hopes of keeping up with the Launch. However, this wasn’t the case. The Lizards continued to struggle on offense, and caused penalties in moments of desperation. The team’s final five goals were scored by Steven Waldeck, Tommy Palasek and Ned Crotty each with one, and David Earl with two, while Rob Pannell was held scoreless.
The Launch had an outstanding performance, finishing out the final two quarters with five goals as well. McArdle scored three more times, while Hall and Rookie Chris LaPierre each added a goal.
In the third quarter off of an assist to Hall, Powell picked up his 434
th MLL point, re-claiming the All-Time record.
Next, the Lizards will travel to Sports Authority Field at Mile High to take on the Denver Outlaws on Saturday, June 14. You can catch the game at ESPN3.com, as well as regional sports channels at 9:00 p.m. ET. The Launch will be visiting the Hounds in Charlotte on Saturday, June 14 at 7:00 p.m. ET on YouTube.
- Casey Powell was named Coca-Cola Player of the Game after an outstanding performance on the field, taking control of the Launch offense and adding 2 goals and 2 assists.
- Powell also re-gained the lead as the MLL All-Time points leader with 434, once again taking it back from Ryan Boyle of the Cannons, who took the lead Friday night (432 points).
- Each of New York’s first seven goals were scored by a different player.
- Florida goalie, Brett Queener had a much-improved game after his struggle last week. Queener had 14 saves facing 22 shots on goal.
- Lizards’ faceoff specialist Greg Gurenlian won the battle at the X winning 12 of 22 faceoffs taken.